Latest topics
» Season 35 General Discussion
by ivelostmysparky Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Super Rugby 2018: Or Why It's Going To Be The Year Of The Highlanders Bitches
by tryasta Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:46 pm

» Season 34 General Discussion
by donkeysaint Wed May 16, 2018 5:49 am

» Best All Black Team Since 1995 (the professional era)
by Bren Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:05 pm

» NT Player List
by simon71 Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:14 pm

» BR Ranfurly Shield
by ivelostmysparky Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:33 pm

» selling players.
by batty001 Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:10 pm

» [S34] NZI Banter
by chewy Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:01 am

» [S33] NZI banter
by Activist Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:38 pm

Statistics
We have 97 registered users
The newest registered user is Choice 1

Our users have posted a total of 7501 messages in 141 subjects

Season 34 General Discussion

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Re: Season 34 General Discussion

Post by robelix on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:40 pm

Nice to see you back bren Smile
robelix
Sumptuous

Back to top Go down

Post by ivelostmysparky on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:44 pm

Nice buy @donkeysaint with Winston Pretty. I was very interested but set myself a strict $750k budget.
ivelostmysparky
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by donkeysaint on Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:28 pm

Thanks, looking to replace my last reckless forward with him.

@Sambo10,
Congratulations! I thought I would be able to get away with a WNWIM, but I crashed and burned. Does make the whole league closer in points, though! Smile

Suva Kiwis Rugby Club     |     |  League III.11   |

Season 30 NZ U20 - World Cup Silver
donkeysaint
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by simon71 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:48 pm

@ivelostmysparky wrote:Nice buy @donkeysaint with Winston Pretty. I was very interested but set myself a strict $750k budget.

Reece and myself have a half hour bidding war for Burwell, meanwhile tinny old donkeysaint gets Pretty almost unopposed Laughing
simon71
Impressive

Super Rugby Team : Crusaders

Back to top Go down

Post by ivelostmysparky on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:15 pm

A half hour bidding war where the price went up only $700k Laughing
Considering Burnall is dropping CSR much faster than Pretty, I would say Pretty was the better option anyway. I wonder if Donkey figured that out or got lucky.
ivelostmysparky
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by ivelostmysparky on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:29 pm

We have another manager returned to BR
Jute and his Ruck N Rollers
ivelostmysparky
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by donkeysaint on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:15 pm

@ivelostmysparky wrote:A half hour bidding war where the price went up only $700k Laughing
Considering Burnall is dropping CSR much faster than Pretty, I would say Pretty was the better option anyway. I wonder if Donkey figured that out or got lucky.

I liked Pretty's skills more than Burnall's, the overall balance was better IMO. A big difference in weight too. Happy to have gotten him for half the price of Burnall. I had my roof at 1.1 million.

Good to hear he is dropping slower too, even though I am sure Pretty will catch up soon. Wink

BTW, there is a new prop up for sale now if anyone is interested.. Very Happy

donkeysaint
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by simon71 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:48 am

@ivelostmysparky wrote:A half hour bidding war where the price went up only $700k Laughing
Considering Burnall is dropping CSR much faster than Pretty, I would say Pretty was the better option anyway. I wonder if Donkey figureourd that out or got lucky.

I was waiting until it would increase the deadline to make each bid, trying to beat Reece without pushing the price up. It didn't work though he just kept on pushing 'bid' until I finally had to go back to work.
I would've been happy with either player at probably $1.1 max really. In the end I was on my phone not computer so it was too difficult to follow both auctions Laughing
simon71
Impressive

Super Rugby Team : Crusaders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sambo10 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:09 am

Cheers donkey! Pretty awesome to get the 1st Div 1 win under the belt

Sambo10
Impressive

Back to top Go down

Post by Pantherus on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:21 pm

Cheers for the funds guys Very Happy

I'm still uncertain if I'll bother returning but decided to sell off the more rapidly declining players that would still make coin and bought in a bunch of young guys. Will probably do another sell off in the mid to near future of other strong players and then just camp for a while...then we'll see Smile
Pantherus
Sumptuous

Back to top Go down

Post by donkeysaint on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:20 am

A Tale of Two Transfers

Back in early season 31, I felt really disillusioned and pessimistic about Blackout Rugby and my clubs future. I had only just absorbed the news that old BR teams and players would not transfer over to BR2, and I felt there was little point in continuing. So when @tryasta, who must have been less pessimistic, asked me if I wanted to buy a young prop from one of tinie's clubs and train him for the NZ U20's, I agreed. The player was Vaitea Setephano.

In principle, I would not buy a reckless forward. I had arrived at the conclusion that they were not worth having, and that the pack of the team I was building would be of at least collected discipline. But principles felt of little value at the time, and I was happy to help out. Tinie's price was 2 million, but when I contacted him he put Setephano on the market for a million and a half. Which ended up being the price I bought him for.

His career as a Katipo was OK, I guess. He racked up 39 U20 caps, and played most games for my club. His league penalty/turnover count for seasons 31-34 was telling, though; 45-17 in 40 games.

Today my feelings about BR have changed. I have managed to get promoted to league one, I am having a great time, and now Setephano will be someone else's problem. He just transferred to South Korea for 3.3 million.

So, what does this mean?
First, I have gotten rid of my last less-than-collected-discipline forward. Good riddance, I say.
Second, it has pushed my clubs sum of sold/bought players well into the positive; 14.1/12.6 (the only other NZ I.1 club with such ratio is @Sambo10's Belfast Cobras, the rest have deficits ranging between 7 and 40 million).
Third, it has provided me with the largest war chest my club has ever had. That will come in handy during the mid-season sale, where I will try to strengthen my squad with another player.

Which brings me to my final point, and the actual purpose of this post. I will up my aim for this season. Not only will I make the play-off (while starting my U20's in every game), but I intend to win a trophy. We shall see if I succeed (I believe I will, of course). But regardless, I will have a great time trying. Very Happy

donkeysaint
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by ivelostmysparky on Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:42 pm

That is a nice story @donkeysaint. Thank you for sharing and I am happy that you can enjoy BR even when the future is uncertain. I still have one reckless player in my pack who is determined to give away 1 stupid penalty, minimum, per game. I love him but he continues to hurt me week in week out Laughing

I have the largest TM deficit in Div 1 don't I? Embarassed However I must defend myself a tad by saying that I buy players young and then keep them around until they are too old and not worth much on the TM, and often let them retire here. Not that I'm denying the fact that I do buy older expensive superstars but I don't play the TM.

Looking forward to our game donkey Smile I've changed my tactics just for you.
ivelostmysparky
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by donkeysaint on Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:21 pm

Thank you, @ivelostmysparky, I am glad you enjoyed it! Yes, you have the largest transfer deficit. I believe it comes more from having played the game for a very long time in the way you describe, more than anything else.

I'm sorry I didn't provide you with a competitive game. I just couldn't see any chance of challenging you at your ground. I will try and give you a better game in the return leg. And I ultimately hope we play each other a third time too, preferably on D6 of R15 (although that would be a real long shot). Very Happy

In the meanwhile, our NZI copy of today's game will be very interesting. Will I be able to change the score much? Looking forward to it!

donkeysaint
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by tryasta on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:29 pm

To be honest, the disappointment after the S32 u20 campaign made me think twice about my enthusiasm for the game. Luckily, a 77% winning ratio in Patea Maori (my best at the time) provided me with some satisfaction. But the u20 campaign was tough as hell.

First, the need to recycle players like Lee Stewart (thanks, @donkeysaint) or Brendom Bream (thanks, @dustyeagle), The Mjollnir (thanks @Robelix) or Chip Flanner (thanks @simon71) or Dave Bulmer or Dick Simon from good loose forwards to so-so front rowers...
Second, the recklessness of some players like Vaitea Setephano, whom we needed as one of only two pure front rowers.
Third, the "accident" of having 13 players in decreasing form two weeks before the World Cup
And lastly, but not "leastly", the fact that after our good pool play, Italy chose to fall on our path to flee away from England...

All those things made me feel a bit like Frodo trying to carry a burden to a remote place I might have heard of and believe it could exist (or not) and every single step someone adds a weight to it.

So I know Setephano, he was needed, but I understand the frustration when in a game he gives 4 penalties away. Been there, seen that, felt that on my own flesh. I celebrate you got some money from him.

I contributed a tiny little bit to your positive $$$ balance. I bought Joshua Foot, a terrific try scorer and star of the S30 u20 World Cup with, I believe, 5 or 6 tries!!! Unfortunately I needed to sell him in order to get cash to get some unwanted controlled coming from Hercufleas (they sell controlled players and keep the reckless ones in Whangarei Wink).

@ivelostmysparky There is a tendency to see the market as the source of evil. As if using it was kind of "less pure" than breeding your own monsters. I don't share that point of view. I see nothing wrong or less admirable in using the TM to get a team (like razor did) than raising a team like @gimping does. I am trying to follow the paths of the Force, but I won't call the TM the dark side, nor see myself as abandoning the path of light if one day I decide to play the TM.

tryasta
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by ivelostmysparky on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:06 pm

See you on Thursday then Donkey Very Happy I didn't think you actually would go for the win, but wanted to secure a league win before player Sparker and 'fleas back to back. I'm approaching 50 NZI wins in a row and a whole one RL year of NZI wins if you need any more motivation.

I don't have a problem with people using the TM a lot but not having training facilities and staff is taking the piss imo. Whether money farming or having a squad of old excellent players. I've always thought that something along these lines would be good. To be able to buy a >300k CSR player on the TM you need to have a L5 training facility, L3 coach, and at 5x L5 trainers.
ivelostmysparky
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by robelix on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:47 pm

dang it....I gave sparky some breathing space at the top of L1 with a loss to Gunslingers....I felt confident of winning on pwnwim...but that all went pearshaped when you have a bunch of players come off injured before it is even halftime...that is the gamble of pwnwin I guess

robelix
Sumptuous

Back to top Go down

Post by donkeysaint on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:11 pm

Like my loss against Belfast Cobras, it does make the league more interesting! Smile

donkeysaint
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by ivelostmysparky on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:44 pm

Yeah I am surprised Rob went wnwim when he has Green Bay in the Cup and Belfast next in the league. Perhaps trying to save energy to LTNT me in the league?
ivelostmysparky
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by robelix on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:48 pm

call it being over-confident....
I also find, that if you can keep your energy levels near perfect, it can give you a psychological edge and pressure the opposition in playing wnwim against ya if their own energy isn't perfect....though that has backfired on me many a time (like that game versus Gunslingers) Mad
robelix
Sumptuous

Back to top Go down

Post by ivelostmysparky on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:04 pm

I'm personally a big fan of normal for the max exp gains Very Happy
ivelostmysparky
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by ivelostmysparky on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Rob - noticed a slight mistake in the Cup top point scorers. Typo? Or do you do it manually? If so switch to @Pantherus's cup tool
ivelostmysparky
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by robelix on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:19 pm

yeah I use pantherus's tool....what was the typo? will try to check it out....

and...could you imagine doing this manually?! im not that obsessive! bounce
robelix
Sumptuous

Back to top Go down

Post by ivelostmysparky on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:32 pm

Just a typo then. All good. Cedric Cullum is 304 not 307.
ivelostmysparky
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by ivelostmysparky on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:50 pm

@donkeysaint wrote:In the meanwhile, our NZI copy of today's game will be very interesting. Will I be able to change the score much? Looking forward to it!

Considering you got shafted by the RNG with injuries and the performance arrows you did very well.
ivelostmysparky
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by donkeysaint on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:11 pm

Thank you!

Losing my new prop after 3 minutes, forcing a shift in the scrum, and my captain before half-time, wasn't part of my plan. Any chance of an upset, or a bonus point, required perfect luck for me. Instead, it was sparky who got that, with zero injuries and better arrows.

Still, I wasn't routed, and in the end I managed to deny the Crusaders a bonus point. For the Crusaders, in the NZI this season, that has only happened away against the Hercufleas before. I got to be pleased with that.

Crusaders - Katipos 33-14

donkeysaint
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next